Direct Line Group Interim Management Statement for first quarter of 2015
Direct Line Insurance Group plc
Interim Management Statement for the first quarter of 2015
Direct Line Group’s Interim Management Statement relates to the first quarter ended 31 March 2015, and contains information to the date of publication.
- Gross written premium for ongoing operations1 0.9% lower with stable gross written premium in Motor
- Motor and Home in-force policies stable for a second successive quarter. Growth in Green Flag direct and Commercial eTrade and direct
- Continued investment in initiatives to improve customer experience and propositions including roll out of new quote and buy digital journey for Home products and removal of amendment fees for the Direct Line brand
- Total costs reduced by 10.1% to £220.7 million and on track to reduce costs in absolute terms in 2015
- Reiterate expectation to achieve a combined operating ratio2 in the range of 94% to 96% for ongoing operations after normalising for claims from major weather events
Paul Geddes, CEO of Direct Line Group, commented
“We have made a good start to 2015 with a stable trading performance in competitive markets and good momentum on the delivery of our strategic priorities. We continued to invest in technical and digital capabilities to improve our customer propositions and satisfaction, whilst maintaining our focus on efficiency. This progress in the first quarter gives us confidence that we are well positioned to meet our 2015 financial objectives.”
For further information, please contact:
Director of Corporate Strategy and Investor Relations
Tel: +44 (0) 1651 832183
Head of Financial Communications
Tel: +44 (0) 1651 831686
1. Ongoing operations include Direct Line Group’s ongoing divisions: Motor, Home, Rescue and other personal lines and Commercial. It excludes the International division, Run-off segment and restructuring and other one-off costs.
2. Combined operating ratio is the sum of the loss, commission and expense ratios. The ratio is a measure of the amount of claims costs, commission and expenses compared to net earned premium generated.
Forward-looking statements disclaimer
Certain information contained in this document, including any information as to the Group’s strategy, plans or future financial or operating performance, constitutes "forward-looking statements". These forward-looking statements may be identified by the use of forward-looking terminology, including the terms "aims", "anticipates", "aspire", "believes", "continue", "could", "estimates", "expects", "guidance", "intends", "may", "outlook", "plans", "predicts", "projects", "seeks", "should", "strategy", "targets" or "will" or, in each case, their negative or other variations or comparable terminology, or by discussions of strategy, plans, objectives, goals, future events or intentions. These forward-looking statements include all matters that are not historical facts. They appear in a number of places throughout this document and include statements regarding the intentions, beliefs or current expectations of the Directors concerning, among other things: the Group’s results of operations, financial condition, prospects, growth, strategies and the industry in which the Group operates. Examples of forward-looking statements include financial targets: return on tangible equity, the Group’s combined operating ratio, and cost reduction. By their nature, all forward-looking statements involve risk and uncertainties because they relate to events and depend on circumstances that may or may not occur in the future or are beyond the Group’s control.
Forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future performance. The Group's actual results of operations, financial condition and the development of the business sector in which the Group operates may differ materially from those suggested by the forward-looking statements contained in this document, for example directly or indirectly as a result of, but not limited to, UK domestic and global economic business conditions, market-related risks such as fluctuations in interest rates and exchange rates, the policies and actions of regulatory authorities (including changes related to capital and solvency requirements or the Ogden discount rate), the impact of competition, currency changes, inflation and deflation, the timing impact and other uncertainties of future acquisitions, disposals, joint ventures or combinations within relevant industries, as well as the impact of tax and other legislation and other regulation in the jurisdictions in which the Group and its affiliates operate. In addition, even if the Group’s actual results of operations, financial condition and the development of the business sector in which the Group operates are consistent with the forward-looking statements contained in this document, those results or developments may not be indicative of results or developments in subsequent periods.
The forward-looking statements contained in this document reflect knowledge and information available as of the date of preparation of this document. The Group and the Directors expressly disclaim any obligations or undertaking to update or revise publicly any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, unless required to do so by applicable law or regulation. Nothing in this document should be construed as a profit forecast.
Neither the content of Direct Line Group's website nor the content of any other website accessible from hyperlinks on the Group’s website is incorporated into, or forms part of, this document.